Whether you are considering having a conservatory or other extension built onto your home it’s always best to check with your local council whether or not you need planning permission. There are certain rules governing whether you will need planning permission and it is in your own interests to be aware of them at the start.

Reasons Why You Might Require Planning Permission

Many people are not aware of the fact that they may require planning permission if they want to carry out a loft conversion, particularly if any of the following applies.

  • If there is going to be a dormer window or roof extension and is facing the road or that extends past the existing roof slope’s pane
  • If some part of the conversion will mean it is higher than the present height of the roof
  • That will add more than 40 or 50 cubic metres to your home, depending on whether it is a terraced or other type of property

If you plan on adding some other structure to your home then planning permission will be required in the following cases:

  1. If you’re planning to build an extension when your home is close to a public road or footpath, in which case there needs to be a gap of at least 20 metres between the path and your extension
  2. When you plan on building something that will take up more than 50% of the overall land around your home
  3. Any plans that result in an extension that is higher than the original roof of your home
  4. If your home is a listed building or part of a conservation area
  5. If the structure will overshadow the window of a neighbouring house and could generate complaints
  6. That is not at least 5 metres away from any other structure belonging to your home
  7. That increases the original volume of your home by more than 70 cubic metres
  8. If any part of the structure within 2 metres of the boundary of your home will be higher than 4 metres

If what you plan on building is a separate structure such as a dog kennel, garden shed pond or summer house then you won’t need planning permission other than in the following circumstances:

  • If they are less than 20 metres away from any public access road or pathway
  • If the structure is higher than 4 metres with a ridged roof and 3 without
  • If more than 50% of the land surrounding your home includes other buildings

Applying for Planning Permission

The first thing you should do before making any major alterations to your home is to telephone the local council planning department to enquire whether you will need permission – you should always do this to be on the safe side.

You may need to fill out a form that they will send to you and may need to include plans and drawings and a processing fee. Your application is then put on display to the public to see whether there are any objections. If you don’t agree with the decision then you will be required to reapply within three months.

This article was written by Ben Frisby on behalf of Ashbrook Roofing, providers of alternatives to lead flashing. Visit their site to find out more.